There are a few things that need to stay away from the drain and we will run through these items so you can keep them out of the bathroom or sinks. Since you do so much cleaning in your sink it can be hard at times to stop everything from going down the drain.
Why drain cleaners don’t usually work for drain clogs
Drain cleaners might be the quick fix but they will never solve the root of the issue and you may need to have a Madison Heights Michigan drain cleaning specialist called out. Save yourself some hassles and avoid dumping these things down your drain.
- Egg shells are a no go zone you may think the crushed egg shells are going to go down the drain smoothly but they can actually cause a blockage. The shells will collect other things that come down the drain and create a clog.
- Grease is no good either grease will stick to the walls of the pipe and over time create a clog. You should also watch other oils like cooking oils, butter, and salad dressings. Let the oil cool first and throw it in the trash.
- Flour with water can form clogs it can coat the pipes and catch other disposables. Just throw your used flour in the trash and not down the drain.
- The medication you might want to think twice about the medication you put down in the toilet or sink that can end up in your drinking water. It’s suggested to take the medication to a medical waste disposal unit.
- Produce stickers these little stickers should be taken off the apples before being washed because they can block water treatment filters or over time build up in your pipes.
- Coffee grounds should be thrown in the trash. The grounds can cause blockages most plumbers in Michigan say that it’s the most common cause of drain issues. The best place for coffee grounds is the trash can.
- Do not flush anything that says it is flushable. The only thing that’s really flushable is toilet paper. Flushable wipes do not break down and create clogs. Cat litter is another item that will expose toxins.
- Cleaning products should never be flushed down the toilet. Yes, most are liquid but most cleaning products have harmful chemicals that can’t be removed at water treatment plants.
- Cotton balls, paper towels, or any paper products should only be thrown away if they do not break down in the toilet. Most of these products absorb water and lead to drain clogs and that can mean a call to the local plumber in Michigan. The only thing ever to be flushed is toilet paper ever! Not disposing of paper products down the toilet will help your septic system in Michigan too.
- Paint should never be poured down the drain though it’s a liquid it can lead also to drain clogs and be a hazard to cities and towns. Most cities have facilities where you can dispose of unused or old paint correctly.
Drain cleaning is a must in Michigan
Drain cleaning in Michigan is a must at least twice a year to make sure the plumbing system is in working condition every day.